Rage Against Suburban Zombie-ism
Friday, January 27, 2012

Something I take for granted: Adult Literacy

O, a Nigerian coworker of mine found me alone and confided in me. He asked if I knew anyone/place who can teach him how to write in English. O is a very sweet man in his 30s.

O said that he didn't have a problem with his reading, but feels ashamed whenever he wants to compose a message to a friend. His spelling is very poor.

He also showed me his library card, proudly said that it was FREE, and says that he goes there whenever he has time.

O pleaded, "You won't forget, will you??" My heart broke a bit, but fear not, I had the solution! :) I assured him that I had a really good memory!

Just turns out that my bff did volunteer with a United Way-related organisation that teaches adults how to read/write! AND I just happened to be seeing her that night. So I got all the info for O and messaged him right away.

In a country based on immigration, I guess it makes sense that some of these newcomers won't know how to read/write English. Something worth thinking about!

Labels:



posted by Stephania at 12:46 pm
|
Comments: Post a Comment
All Music.com
Bible Gateway
Dictionary.com - USE IT!
eBay.ca
eBay.com

Aime Luxury
Elaine
Eleasa
Magda
Ruth

Internet Movie Db
PIG Radio
stereogum
Steve Lamacq
Urban Dictionary
Value Village

A Socialite's Life
Dlisted


Looking for something?




About Stephania

Email me! - pls include email address if you want a response!

Your FAV Blog


This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com





Follow this blog