Rage Against Suburban Zombie-ism
Thursday, June 18, 2009

Interview with Monica Mei ofAime Luxury

Having a mood that matched today's weather (blah), I decided to drag J to f-list's* Spotlight Designer Series - it was their last event before the Fall!

This particular event featured Monica Mei's line, Aime. Speaking to Monica was inspirational not only for aspiring fashion designers, but I felt encouraged as well. Maybe, just maybe it's possible to have a job that a) you actually like, b) in your field, and c) in the creative field.

So I decided to ask Monica more questions to further encourage others in which neither a), b), nor c) applies... :( --> :)

Stephania: What first got you interested in a career in fashion?

Monica: I've always been fascinated by art, design and culture and would always want to know what was the newest and latest of everything - from food to fashion! I also have an entrepreneurial spirit, so I married together my two loves, fashion and business, and gave birth to Aime!

S: How would you describe your line's aesthetic? Does this correlate with the way you dress?

M: I want Aime to be about chic comfort and responsible luxury. I design Aime with several things in mind: versatility (day to night, season to season), wearability (will you actually wear it or just admire it in the closet?), and sensibility (comfort and longevity). Yes, it does correspond with the way I dress. As everyone is individual, I don't think it's right for a designer to dictate looks for a season, but to create beautiful pieces that the wearer can individualize with accessories depending on their mood or the function they're going to. I think it's fun how different women wear the same Aime piece in very different ways, or even how the same woman would wear the same Aime piece differently depending on where she was going.


S: Honestly, did going to school, for your particular field, help you? If yes, how?

M: I'm a big believer in education. I'm a bit of a geek as I love to learn! I studied fashion at Ryerson University and business at the University of Toronto, and definitely know that going to school helped me. I also took the opportunity to intern at different fashion houses during the summers and the combination of theory and practice was invaluable.


S: Do you feel as though you got your "break" yet? If so, when/how did this happen?

M: I love what I do and am over the moon that Aime is now in stores in Canada and the US to be loved by other women! Although I do have bigger plans for Aime, I think my big "break" is still yet to come. One "pinch me" moment was right after my debut at LG Fashion Week and I was being interviewed by the infamous, Jeanne Beker, host of Fashion Television. It was a thrill!


S: Who or what inspires you?

M: I gather inspiration from my travels around the world. I love learning about new cultures - listening to their music, eating their food, watching their films... etc.


S: In terms of the fashion industry, how do you think Toronto - or even Canada - contributes?

M: If one looks at fashion as an interpretation of society now, then Toronto usually doesn't come to mind as being very forward-thinking. I think we're too practical to just look at fashion as something to be desired and not worn sensibly. But, if one interprets fashion as simple as the creation of great, wearable clothing then us Canadians have that figured out! We have such a great mosaic of cultures here that I believe we have carved an international style that's appealing to the unique Canadian landscape.


S: Where do you see Aime in 5 years/the future?

M: The plan is to bring the philosophy to "Love yourself. Love others. Love luxury" into an extended product line and to open retail shops in the future. My dream is to have Aime be a vehicle to support charities and organizations that focus on woman and youth issues. As Aime means "love" in French, I want Aime to be about showing love.


S: What advice do you have for someone who's aspiring to be a fashion designer?

M: My practical advice is to be educated and gain experience by interning. Think about what you'd like to learn and go for it! As well, to be very passionate about what you do as the fashion industry isn't for the faint of heart.

S: I couldn't agree with you more, Monica. Thanks soo much for your time & being such an inspiration!


*
I couldn't find this info. on their website, but I heard that tickets for Toronto Fashion Week are sold through the f-list. The f-list is basically an online resource & community for the fashion happenings in Canada. Register to stay in-the-loop!

Labels:



posted by Stephania at 1:46 pm
|
Comments:
Hi Steph,

It was lovely meeting you at the F-List event! Your passion for fashion was very evident through your insightful questions. I hope to see you at the next Aime event!

Best,

M
Designer, Aime
www.aimeluxury.com
 
Post a Comment
All Music.com
Bible Gateway
Dictionary.com - USE IT!
eBay.ca
eBay.com

Aime Luxury
Elaine
Eleasa
Magda
Ruth

Internet Movie Db
PIG Radio
stereogum
Steve Lamacq
Urban Dictionary
Value Village

A Socialite's Life
Dlisted


Looking for something?




About Stephania

Email me! - pls include email address if you want a response!

Your FAV Blog


This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com





Follow this blog