Rage Against Suburban Zombie-ism
Monday, January 05, 2009
Red Lentil Curry Soup
file under: Stephie Homemaker
It may come as a shock to you, but even people with coal hearts and no soul hafta eat!
2 T of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 large onion
1 large potato, peeled, chopped (you can also substitute a sweet potato for added nutrition)
2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
2 T of curry powder
1/4 t of cayenne pepper
3 14 1/2 oz of vegetable broth
1 14 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed well, drained
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
2 cups of lentils, rinsed, drained (I used red lentils)
pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic, onion, potato, and carrot and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Mix in curry powder and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add broth, tomatoes with juices, rinsed chickpeas, and lentils and bring to boil.
5. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are very tender, about 45 minutes.
6. Season soup to taste with pepper. When soup was more or less ready, I felt as though it was salty enough, so refrained from the additional sodium.
- because this dish basically looks like chunky diarrhea, try to purée half of the soup
- if serving at a party, try adding a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt, and some diced coriander or parsley on the top
- serve with slices of whole wheat pita, naan, baguettes, or on top of a bed of rice
- refrigerate leftovers for up to a few days. Soup tastes better day after it's made!
- soup's flavour is dependent on the quality of the curry powder
- lentils are low in fat, high in minerals, full of fibre, and help to lower cholesterol. I'm not sure if this varies depending on what colour of lentils are used.
If you ate like I did this past Holiday, you'll probably feel a need to detox as well! And I'm pretty sure that this fits under the category.
Labels: red lentil curry soup recipe
posted by Stephania at 6:29 pm
Comments: Post a Comment
Dictionary.com - USE IT!
Internet Movie Db
A Socialite's Life
Email me! - pls include email address if you want a response!
Your FAV Blog