Rage Against Suburban Zombie-ism
Sunday, August 26, 2007

Festival of Fear: Hardcore Fans Only/Kids Whose Parents Give 'Em $$$

As a first-timer to Rue Morgue's Festival of Fear, I didn't know what to expect. Firstly, I didn't know what went on at this thing? (I even attempted to post this question - perhaps a dumb sounding one - on the Facebook group. No one responded.) Should I bother going? At $45 + service charges for 2.5 days, I don't think it's particularly cheap.

And after attending 1-day at $25, seeing what Fan Expo had to offer, it's really not cheap!

The rundown?: the majority of the booths consist of vendors trying to hawk their wares, i.e. fanster related toys, DVDs, t-shirts, comics, etc. Btw, wares costs are comparable to retail prices. After vendors, comes various exhibitors be it horror magazines, sfx, and production companies. I think that unless you know them by name, the average attendee would not be enticed to visit such exhibitors. There are also autograph signings + Q&As, but both at extra costs. And how could I forget the sprinkling of kids in costumes. Gawd, I was among my people!

I missed Dario Argento and apparently it was $25/autograph. I understand that such big names must charge in order to limit the number of autographs that they do.

Funny story: Overwhelmed and confused by the whole Fest, I asked someone at the autograph area - which was completely dead - what time Argento was signing. Unfortch, he was already done. I then turned to the nearest booth, Rue Morgue, and guess who I see there?? Coralina Cataldi-Tassoni (Demons 2) and...Dario Argento!

He was literally 3 feet away from me! I was with a friend and he kept urging me to just ask if I can get a picture taken with him, saying "He is just a man!". I was acting like a high school girl, all giggly, and kept saying, "I can't! I can't!"

A Rue Morgue rep sees my douchebaggery and says that Argento is "done for the day...he's tired...he's been signing autographs for the whole day...", blah, blah, blah. I wish I could be more bold when I see some of my idols in-person, but truth be told, I just turn into mush and can't speak. It's really bad.

Okay, admiring Argento from not-that-far made my $25 all worth it!

Then, a coupla friends who had Media Passes told me about a George Romero/Dario Argento Q&A that was going on. I show up and there's a long ass line! I informed my friend that I only had a day-pass and may not be able to get in. They suggested that I sneak in through an unguarded door.

Even though the door was technically unguarded, there were a bunch of Fan Expo staff just sitting at a table right next to it! I certainly didn't want to create some kind of unnecessary scene, by like getting kicked out of the entire conference for trying to sneak into a press conference with 2 LIVING LEGENDS OF HORROR!

So the line lets in, doors close, and I ask the Fan Expo staff if I can get in with my day-pass. The refer me to this butchy lookin' security guard. I approach the guard with my "little girl lost" act. The guard lowers her voice, becoming almost feminine, and says, "Why? Do you wanna get in?"

With that and a coupla bat of my eyelashes, I was sitting with my friends, in the Romero/Argento Q&A - that apparently was $45 alone!

Fine, the initial $25 that I slapped down was stretching further than I thought. However, this was only due to having friends that were in-the-know, luck, and a bit of chutzpah!


If only I could have had the same attitude whilst in Argento's presence!

An extra thanks goes to J, S&J!

Labels:



posted by Stephania at 9:45 pm
|
Comments: Post a Comment
All Music.com
Bible Gateway
Dictionary.com - USE IT!
eBay.ca
eBay.com

Aime Luxury
Elaine
Eleasa
Magda
Ruth

Internet Movie Db
PIG Radio
stereogum
Steve Lamacq
Urban Dictionary
Value Village

A Socialite's Life
Dlisted


Looking for something?




About Stephania

Email me! - pls include email address if you want a response!

Your FAV Blog


This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com





Follow this blog