Rage Against Suburban Zombie-ism
Tuesday, December 17, 2013

French make the
longest movies

So last night, instead of growing my brain, I tucked into a French, lesbian, coming-of-age flick that was all the rage at the film festival circuit.  If you look up close, you'll even see that it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes.

(You hafta give me some credit, at least I didn't watch an American Schlock.  Not last night anyway. ;)

American Vs. European Cinema
The runtime on Blue Is The Warmest Color is 179 minutes, just a hair under 3 hours!!!  I haven't watched a contemporary Euro movie in a while, but let's just say they have their own way of doing things...just like their cars.  

This film, or at least the version that I saw, was an extremely sloooow burn.  There's less dialogue and lotsa shots of time passing:  character sleeping, smoking, teaching, crying, etc.

Personally, I'm glad that I didn't watch this in the theatre 'cause I don't think I'd be able to sit still for that period of time.  In the dark.  With a room full of strangers.  Without the amenities that make me comfortable. 

I don't want to give away too much, but is the takeaway, you can have the most amazing sex, fall in love with someone of the same sex, but ultimately NOT end up with that person??  

That's rather depressing, but I guess realistic in a European sorta way.

Labels:



posted by Stephania at 12:10 pm
|
Comments: Post a Comment
All Music.com
Bible Gateway
Dictionary.com - USE IT!
eBay.ca
eBay.com

Aime Luxury
Elaine
Eleasa
Magda
Ruth

Internet Movie Db
PIG Radio
stereogum
Steve Lamacq
Urban Dictionary
Value Village

A Socialite's Life
Dlisted


Looking for something?




About Stephania

Email me! - pls include email address if you want a response!

Your FAV Blog


This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com





Follow this blog