Rage Against Suburban Zombie-ism
Tuesday, June 14, 2011

To Ban Or Not To Ban?:
Shark Fin Soup


(But what ever will I eat at those traditional, Chinese wedding banquets?)

The banning of shark fin soup, a Chinese delicacy, has been in the news lately. I didn't think it was a big deal until I heard HOW the fins were obtained.

According to a news story I heard, the fins are literally cut off and then the shark's body is thrown back into the sea, to become fish food. If not eaten, the shark essentially drowns because it cannot swim. :( The rest of the shark's body isn't used because its flesh is "tasteless".

(I cannot confirm this as an epicurean fact because I have never eaten shark.)

In Rob Stewart's 2006 documentary, Sharkwater, Stewart examines WHO the enemy really is, shark or man? And now the Canadian filmmaker is spearheading - pardon the pun - the campaign to ban the sale/use of shark fin.

Knowing what I know now, plus the fact that the Great White Shark is currently on the list of endangered species, I think that I'm okay with not eating this dish of delicious death!

Besides, I'm sure the Chinese can think of an ingenious replacement, fit for human consumption, for shark fin...

Labels:



posted by Stephania at 12:20 am
|
Comments: Post a Comment
All Music.com
Bible Gateway
Dictionary.com - USE IT!
eBay.ca
eBay.com

Aime Luxury
Elaine
Eleasa
Magda
Ruth

Internet Movie Db
PIG Radio
stereogum
Steve Lamacq
Urban Dictionary
Value Village

A Socialite's Life
Dlisted


Looking for something?




About Stephania

Email me! - pls include email address if you want a response!

Your FAV Blog


This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com





Follow this blog